How do I obtain a Flyer ID/ Operator ID?

Under new CAA regulations, you must register before flying most drones or model aircraft outdoors in the UK. Flock requires their insured pilots to have both a Flyer ID and Operator ID as the minimum level of competency in order to purchase Flock's drone insurance.

Who is required to register?

Flyer ID

The flyer is the person who flies the drone or model aircraft.

You must pass an online theory test to get a flyer ID. The test is free. You should prepare for the test before you take it.

Operator ID

The operator is the person responsible for managing a drone or model aircraft. This means they’re responsible for things like maintaining it and making sure that anyone who flies it has a flyer ID.

They’re usually the person or organisation that owns the drone or model aircraft, but not always. For example, if you’re younger than 18 and you own a drone or model aircraft, you must ask your parent or guardian to register for an operator ID. You’ll still be able to fly as long as you have a flyer ID.

The operator must:

  • make sure that only people with a valid flyer ID use their drone or model aircraft

  • label their drones and model aircraft with their operator ID

You must be 18 or over to register for an operator ID. You can use the same operator ID for all your drones and model aircraft.

You can get both your flyer ID and operator ID at the same time.

Flyer ID and Operator ID registration costs and validity



Valid for

Operator ID


1 year

Flyer ID


5 years

Ready to take off?