Do I need to register my drone to get insurance from Flock?

Yes, in order to purchase insurance with Flock, pilots should have registered their drone[s] with a minimum of a Flyer ID and Operator ID.

Why do I need this?

With updates to the EASA regulations, there are a basic set of regulations required for flying an unmanned aircraft system (UAS/ drone) within the UK and Europe.

The basic requirements for flying in the Open Category are described below:

  • You must pass the online test and hold a Flyer ID, and must register as a UAS operator, and display your Operator ID on your UAS (UK based as per the CAA)

  • You are responsible for flying your UAS in a safe manner

  • You must keep the UAS in your direct sight at all times while it is flying so that you can ensure that it does not collide with anything, especially other aircraft

  • You must not endanger anyone or anything with your UAS

  • You must not fly more than 400ft/120m above the surface

  • You must not fly within the Flight Restriction Zone of a protected aerodrome, or within any other airspace restriction without permission. More information on airspace restrictions

  • You UAS must weigh less than 25Kg

With Flock drone insurance, should the event of a claim arise, we may ask you to provide evidence of the above as proof of flying in accordance with the category you’re flying in.

If you are UK-based, find out how to obtain a Flyer ID and Operator ID here.

Find out more about the Open Categories here.

Ready to take off?